I would like to share my experience with other people who are preparing for the TCS as think that that will be helpful for the entire upcoming visitor who want to prepare for TCS. The recruitment procedure for TCS consist the following four rounds:
1.ONLINE TEST :
Online test was conducted for JUIT students and for some branches of JIIT students on 18 Th Feb. and for remaining branches of JIIT on 19 Th Feb. The test started around 10 A.M. without any pre-placement session. You will be given Login Id and password. Firstly there was a sample test and instruction for the test. They will also give instructions orally so listen carefully everything. The TCS people will be all time there during the test so for any clarification ask them for a help. Remember that:
· There is no negative marking.
· No higher cut-off.
· There was no section cut-off.(but I think that there was a minimum cut-off for individual section because some students were not able to clear the test because they were unable to score in a particular section).
· Don’t click on the EXIT Button; otherwise your test will be finished at that point.
· You can jump to any question within a particular section, but you can not jump sections. On R.H.S. there is a display of Q.No. The answered questions appears in Green color, unanswered but visited questions in some other color(red or orange ,I don’t remember exactly) and unvisited questions in other color(red or orange).
· A clock on the top corner of the right hand side displays the reaming time so please keep track of the time.
There were 3 Sections in the test: ---
A.VEBAL SECTION (32 QUSETIONS 20 MINUTES):
10 antonyms, 10 synonyms, 1 Reading comparison heaving 6 question and one passage for fill in the blank with 6 questions. Most of the antonyms and synonyms were form Barron’s GRE (you can refer any edition for this section). Only prepare exercises given in the back of word list. There are 50 word lists in the book but you need not to mug all of them only 20 will also work. Start preparing a lot ahead of for this because it will take a lot of time because most of the words are hard to remember. It will take hardly 6-8 minutes to complete antonyms and synonyms because there are only two possibilities, either you know the answer or not. In the remaining time you can attempt RC & fill in the blanks. RC passage on Share Market and Investment, I have seen it somewhere but I don’t remember where exactly (most probably in barrons’s). The passage for fill- in the blanks I don’t remembered. But key point in fill-in the blank question is that there were not 5 options to fill the blanks. Instead it options were only 6 choices written and we have to fill each options by selecting it from a drop down menu. So please take care of this.
B. QUANTITATIVE APTITUDE ( 38 QUES, 40 MINUTES):
The most easy and scoring section. You need not to do anything. No need to buy R. S. Awarwal or something else. Just practice 5-10 sample papers form Freshersworld that will be more than enough. I am giving some of the question with explanation that were in my examination:------
1. 58, 27, 12, __, 2 .
Sol. 27*2+4 = 58, 12*2+3 = 27, 5*2+2 = 12, 2*2+1 = 5, 1*2+0 = 2 ….ans = 5
2. How the given string how many Y’s are followed by L that are not followed by PYLYPQMYLPMLYLLYQMYYLQYLPLYAMLYLM
3. First & second, third and fourth, fifth and sixth letter of word SENSATIONALY are interchanged find the 12th letter form right.
Sol. The interchanged word is ESSNTAIONALY. Now start counting frm Right the 12th letter is E.
4. What is the largest prime number which can be stored in 6 bit register?
Sol. As the register is 6 bit long we can store max number 63 (if all bits are 1).But 63 is not prime the largest prime number is 61.
Ans = 61.
5) Number of faces, vertices and edges of a cube
Ans. 6, 8, 12
6. If g(0) = 1, g(1) = -1 and g(n) = g(n-1)-g(n-2) then calculate g(6).
Sol. Start with g(2) = g(1) + g(0) = -1 - 1 = -2, g(3) = g(2) + g(1) = -2+1 = -1, g(4) = g(3) + g(2) = -1+1 = 0, g(5) = g(4) + g(3) = 0+1 = 1, g(6) = g(5) + g(4) = 1-0 = 1
ans = 1.
7. which of the following heaving highest standard deviation.
a. 9,0,9,0,9,0 b. 9,-9,0,9,0,-9 c. 9,-9,9,-9,9,-9 d. 9,9,9,9,9,9
Ans. C, standard deviation is 18(i.e. the difference between two consecutive terms is highest).
8. Find the result of the following expression- M (737, 7) +R (3.4) +T (7. 7)-R (6.4) if, M denotes modules operation, R denotes round-off, T denotes truncations?
Sol): 2+3+7-6 = 6
9. In a city, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/6 + 4t + 12, where t is elapsed time. Find the percentage change in temperature from 3pm. to 6 pm.
Sol): In equation first put t=3,
we will get 25.5........................... (1)
Now put t=6,
we will get 42.............................. (2)
So %change = ((42-25.5)/42)*100)
10. Find d Odd one out? a. Oracle b. Linux c. Ingress d. DB2
Ans. All other except Linux which is an operating system are Database Management Systems.
11. If FHQWVDO is written as CENTRAL, what is TXLFN?
ANS. The first letter of the word has been changed 3 letter backward in alphabetic order so we change T to Q. As there were no other options starting with Q we need not to find each alphabet. So the answer is the word in the options starting with Q
12. Which shape will be obtained by using these values of X & Y?
Sol): Y= log10(X)
13.Find d unit of given expression - (Force*Distance)/ (Velocity *Velocity)?
Sol): (M*a*L)/(LT-1*LT-1) = (M*LT-2*L)/(L2T-2) = Mass
14. A can copy 20 pages in 4 hours and A and B can copy 70 pages in 10 hours. How much time B will take to copy 26 pages
Sol. A’s 1 hour work =20/4=5 pages , A+B’s 1 hour work = 7 pages So B’s 1 hour work =7-5=2 pages. Time taken by B to copy 26 pages =26/2=13 hours.
15. A, B and C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the wastage of fuel by 20%, 30% and 10%. What will be the fuel economy if they were used combined?
Sol): Method is (80/100*70/100*90/100)*100 = 50.4
So, economy = 100-50.4 = 49.6
16. Find d Odd one out? JAVA b. LISP c. Small talk d. Eiffel
Ans. All other except LISP are object oriented programming languages.
17. Match the following
1. Male – Boy a. A type of
2. Square - Polygon b. A part of
3. Roof - Building c. Not a type of
4. Mushroom – Vegetables d. A superset of
Ans: 1- d, 2- a, 3- b, 4- c
18. Find the value of 232 in the base 5
Sol. Divide 232 by 5 until the number is reduced to zero and select the reminder from bottom to up
ans = 1412
19. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 900 mtr width. a cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the river and 3000 mtr away from the power unit. The cost of the cable bellows water Rs5 / mtr and cost of cable on the bank is Rs 4/ mtr. Find the pt where the cable cut through the river.
a.2800 b. 3000 c. 2100 b.3900
Sol. Just use simple trigonometry
20. Given $ means Tripling and % means change of sign then find the value of $%$6-%$%6 ?
Ans. 72 (values are not exactly same)
21. In two dimensional array X(6,9) each element occupies 4 bytes of memory. If the address of first element X(1,1)is 3000 then what will be the address of the last element X(2,3) ?
Sol. Remember that we have been asked to write to find address of last element not of first element. 3000+8*4+3*4+3(for last element) = 3047
22. My flight takes of at 2am from a place at 18N 10E and landed 8 Hrs later at a place with coordinates 36N 80W. What is the local time when my plane landed.
Ans. Every 1 deg longitude is equal to 4 minutes . If west to east add time else subtract time) and measure the longitude form GMT do the difference between the longitude is 90 degree=90*4=360minutes=6 hours. Don’t take into account the value of N and S if any. So the local time of landing = 2+8-6=4am.
23 Which of the following are orthogonal pairs? a. 3i+2j b. i+j c. 2i-3j d. -7i+j
Sol. The product of slope(y/x) of two equations should be -1
ans = a & c
24. Find d singular matrix from a given set of matrices?
a) 2 3 b) 4 16 c) 0 5 d) 9 8
4 5 1 4 1 5 4 5
Sol): b (Hint: det (A) = 0 i.e. ((a11+a22)-(a12+a21))
| || |
26. If n=10*18*38 which of the following is not an integer?
a. n/40 b. n/90 c. n/72 d. n/35
Sol. (10*18*38)/35 is not an integer so ans = d (n/35)
27.28.29. A Venn diagram was given and 3 questions were asked on it. Just understand the problem carefully and solve it (only addition, subtraction and multiplication and division required)
The question was based on that this number of people know c , this number of people java and this number of people know .net
30.31.32. A bar graph was given and question was asked on it. It was something about club membership (just addition, multiplication etc.)
C. CRITICAL REASONING (12 QUESETIONS, 30 MINUTES) :
Don’t think that it is enough time to solve this section. Actually this section is from the model test papers of Barron’s 12 th edition. It consists of 3 paragraphs containing 4 questions each. If you have practiced a lot than you will able to do this section within 5 minutes, otherwise the case may be that you will not able to answer even a single question from it, because some questions are very tricky and you can do them if you are doing them first time. So please prepare the questions form 5 test papers and only solve those paragraphs which contain 4 or more questions. Don’t let this work pending till last day. Don’t need to mug up all the answers just know the method. Only some questions need to be mug up. There is no important passage as we had paragraphs form all test papers. So don’t take chance in this section. I think that in this section the weightage was higher than other sections. In my paper they asked the question on Prithu and Brithu marriages from test paper 5(they changed some name, but don’t worry if you know how to attempt then you will able to solve it and those who have mugged up it also don’t worry because the starting alphabet of the name of the characters was same, so still you can attempt it. Second paragraph was on Scurvy problem and it was also form test paper 5. Third passage was and selecting two professor form large university and one form small college.